Monday, March 19, 2007

Comin' clean

It appears that the cat has indeed been let out of the bag. I did, in fact, resign from classes for the spring semester of 2007. As hesitant as I was to do so, looking back, I couldn't be happier about it. Instead of going to classes I've spent the last 2 months traveling the east coast searching for bigger and better things. My travels landed me in places like Harrisonburg, VA, Daytona Beach, FL, and even a large area in western North Carolina. Most of these adventures I spent camping in the back of my car. Sometimes with other people, but mostly by myself. I've spent the semester sleeping in til 11 or so, waking up , and heading out on a sweet ride, always some where new. And I couldn't be more proud of doing so.

The inspiration to take the semester off came to me around the end of December. I decided that I wanted to see what it was like to travel with my bike. To go to brand new places and check things out. Just me and my bike. And let me tell you, its really awesome. No schedules, no deadlines, no one to wait on or to wait on you. Just me and my bike all the time.

I've still got more plans to come as well. I'll be at home from now until we head out to Arizona, but after I get back I plan on doing more week-long camping trips in the Great Smokey Mountains of North Carolina and even a trip to Georgia for a couple days of epic mountain biking. Basically going wherever I feel like going that week. Cause you know what, I prolly wont be able to ever do it again.

The reality of it is that it wont last forever, or for long at all. I'll be starting classes again in the fall, this time at Shippensburg. But at least I got to experience, or am experiencing, what it feels like to live the life as a mountain biker. Something that most people won't have the time or oppurtunity to do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats... I'm jealous as shit, but this keeps me looking forward to my own retirement this summer.

Ashwin Amanna said...

Good on you.

Just wait till you get married and have kids.

The good thing though is that any ride at all, even on the same old trails is still a good day.