Sunday, May 10, 2009

Less is more

In a hole of fatigue, the only ladder out is recovery. I'm standing on the bottom rung right now, looking up. My body is tired right now. Not from over-training, or over-reaching, or over-exerting. Just under-sleeping. I made a pretty stupid error last weekend. A very, umm..., unprofessional mistake. Exactly one week ago, following the US Cup race in TN, I drove straight home, more or less all through the night, with only a 2 hour nap in Maryland.

It wasn't like I had to be home for anything. I just wanted to get there.

I figured a little nap in the afternoon an early night the next evening would satisfy my sleep deficit, but it's been slowly catching up with me all week. I've been taking naps, going to bed early, and sleeping in, only to wake up still exhausted. I few more easy days, and I'll be back at it.

This weeks lesson: Shut eye is the best thing to happen to an athlete. Don't underestimate it, don't underdo it. If your tired, take a nap. If your not tired, take a nap. And remember kids, less is actually more. (exept in the case of money)