Thursday, September 20, 2007

Off season, kayaking, and Beyond

With the official off-season starting next week, I've started to think about what I'm going to do over the winter. Things on my mind: hiking, camping, some long rides, and even kayaking. I've been working diligently in the sponsorship search hoping to get some help for 2008. In my search, I came across a technical clothing company called Beyond Clothing looking for athletes to sponsor for the 2008 season. I checked out the site for them and their stuff looks really legit. They make full-on, custom fitted pants and jackets. Sweet stuff. Check out their site hear: http://www.beyondclothing.com/. While I was browsing their site all I could think about was getting back into hiking for the winter. Like last year, I plan on putting in quite a few miles a week hiking through Michaux and parts of the AT. Also like last year, I'm waiting for the first cold, Pennsylvania blast of winter so I can pull off another 24 hour hike. Thats right, just like a 24 hour mountain bike race, I'm going to try to hike the entire length of the AT through Michaux State forest (about 30 miles) in one shot, with minimal breaks and hopefully no sleeping. I'm also in the market for an inexpensive kayak. I've only done it a few times, but that's all it took to get me thinkin' that its an awesome second sport to get into. Now if I can only find enough stuff to sell, in order to fund it...or find someone to give me a bike for next year....

A couple hiking pics from last year




1 comment:

Jordan Kahlenberg said...

One great hike to do in Michaux is is up Tumbling Run to the top. If you have rock climbing shoes (prefferably ones for bouldering/crevice routes) then you swap to those and do some bouldering over the rocks on the ridge. You just keep going back on the ridge, climbing all the rocks as you go. There's a bunch of good spots to boulder in that area.

Or you can get a DH rig and try and ride down tumbling run from the top....................